Sunday, August 9, 2009

Church!

We went to an awesome church this morning with a lovely family of missionaries from the U.S. (their church in the US is actually in PA) They are wonderful and their church was so great. It's small and growing and really sweet. Everyone was nice to us and they invited us to stay after and eat lunch with them (for free) so that was awesome. Also, they told me I could sing on the worship team if I wanted, so that's really cool. Their singers are really good. Liz and I really liked the pastor and the worship so we are totally content with this being our home church for the semester. Also, it's great because we get a ride for free every week (the missionaries live uber close to us).

Also! Sandy (mom-missionary) told us where the good grocery store is and how to get there and what-not, so that's awesome. Yeah, so I'd say overall we're really pumped about life right now...except for the fact that we are exhausted lol. We aren't really sure why, but it could be because we went to bed last night at around 12ish. We went to an apartment where there was a party (people were drinking but Liz and I had coca cola :p). I thought that going to clubs or bars or parties would be like the worst thing ever but really, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as when adults in my family get drunk (which happens more often then I think about). I might just be saying this cause they haven't been that drunk when I've been around, but I mean, yeah, they were pretty drunk. It's weird cause this is a public school, with more rules than Eastern, but everyone still goes drinking and stuff and goes out for the night. It's just weird.
In any case, yeah, sorry for jumbling thoughts together and putting them on the internet. I have just been thinking a lot about alcohol and alcoholism and getting drunk instead of drinking a little of something. I decided that I would just not drink while I'm here, it wouldn't be at all helpful for anyone if I drank anything so yeah, I'm not going to. I just have noticed that even though people are basically having a sin fest (ya know, drinking, dancing, doing stuff they shouldn't do before marriage, cursing, etc.) it could be a heck of a lot worse than what they do in a club and I believe in the Jesus in the Bible - Who went and hung out with the prostitutes and tax collectors and drunkards, right? I guess I have been learning what that means to accept other young people as making mistakes like I do, just in different ways. I know a guy here who is SO nice, and like really takes care of people and is just really chivalrous, but drinks a lot ya know. That for sure doesn't make him a bad person, because I don't drink and I'm still a jerk sometimes, so I mean, yeah who am I to judge, right? Everyone has something they are trying to stop doing (or should try to stop doing) and I have plenty enough for everyone. I just feel bad for being judgemental about everything.


Anyway, church was beautiful. Today was great. Sandy, Tom, Caleb, Steven and Zach were great, and now I want to take a nap.

Love to all,
Nora

No comments: