Saturday, September 5, 2009

Another Saturday

Today was really crazy and in the end really fun. I should start with yesterday though so you get an idea of what my life in México is really like.

Yesterday I had 0 classes (like all Fridays) so I got up at around 8am and started doing homework. I went to Bible study at 1:30, thinking there would be lunch (because Moi told me there would be, but there wasn't) so Moi and I went to Subway (right next to la casa verde) and got subs (which was actually pretty fabulous, sorry to say jaja combo was 65 pesos, which is kind of steep but yeah, maybe not?). In any case, after Bible study (which was mostly planning, but still fun) we went back to campus and I proceeded to do homework, (I had to read more than 80 pages for European Union - so boring - and also type up a thing that I had worked on Thursday evening) at 4 Liz left to play flag football with our friends but I stayed doing homework. At about 6pm I realized I had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO on a Friday night and I felt like the biggest loser ever, I texted people but no one got back to me, plus the older 2 of my brothers here were going out camping with a bunch of their friends, so they weren't going to be able to hang out. I was dying of boredom but I couldn't go play football with Liz cause it was a long walk and it was going to get dark soon, so they'd be coming in anyway. Anyway, I even called Sandy (the mom of the missionaries) and asked if they had plans, but there was a team here from Wyoming and it was their last night so they were going out to a nice dinner and Stephen (The 3rd brother) was going to a party. Well then later Sandy called me back and said, oh yeah we need someone to watch Zach (he was going to be home and the team was running late to eat dinner - like 9pm and Zach goes to bed around 10 on weekends) so I said, sure I'd love to watch him. So I got to watch Zach, who is such a cutie, and it was totally awesome. Then I stayed over because they weren't going to get home till late and then had to take the team to the airport at like 5am so it would be nice to have me there to be with Zach that early in the AM. So yeah, I stayed in the extra bed in Caleb's room (2nd oldest, but he was camping) and it was really nice to get to be at the house. I think they really appreciated me watching Zach, and I loved it, so yeah.
So then today at 11:30 I was supposed to get picked up at the missionaries' house to go to worship team practice...but 11:45 came and went and he wasn't there. So I called his wife and she was like, can I talk to Sandy, so I said, sure. She basically asked Sandy if she could take me over to the practice because her husband was going to be really late. So Sandy brought me over there (after I got BOTH of my check cards in the mail haha, so weird) and then practice started after a little bit. Since it's the 1 year anniversary of our church starting, we are having a special service in the gym of a different University, so there were tons of things to do to get ready for it. Plus, tonight was the concert for the youth group band (and 2 other local youth group bands), so that also added to the craziness. Yeah, so we got to practice and man, I felt so young lol everyone on the chorus is so old haha, but then everyone in the band part is so much younger than I am so that's funny. In any case, practice was really good, we sang well I think. It sounded good and I just really hope I remember all the songs tomorrow and don't make a fool of myself. After practice there was a lot of dead time, in which Keila (pronounced Kayla) who is the sweetest girl ever and probably my best Mexican friend (she's 16 and plays electric guitar and is the BEST FEMALE VOCALIST I HAVE EVER HEARD - NO LIE) And she also sings (harmony) while playing guitar (and soloing even) - dude the girl's amazing. Anyway, she wrote this REALLY cute song (oh man it's cute) about waiting for the right guy, girls(!) because God has a superhero waiting for you and she wanted me to translate it into English with her (she knows a lot of English). So yeah, we did and it sounds SO good! It doesn't even sound like a song someone translated, it sounds totally legit - I am SO proud of it. I am actually way better at translating songs than writing them. I'm pretty proud of that (Nolan - let me know if you ever want to put a song in Spanish ;) wink!!)
Anyway so Keila and I hung out a lot and that was really cool - she's the cutest thing ever. I am totally in love with her hahaha. Her brother also sings and plays piano and has a TOTALLY gorgeous voice. He's on par with Grayson, maybe not quite as good yet, but he's incredible none the less. And their mom also sings in the coro (which is like the chorus thing that I'm in) and the three of them together do 3 part harmony and it's so cute and makes me think of me and Nolan and mama and how much I love singing with them and it warms my heart. In any casa Johanan (Keila's bro) also asked me to join the youth group band (THEY ARE REALLY STINKING GOOD) and I was so flattered and honored I said yes without missing a beat. Hehe. I was so excited.
So yeah, fast forward there was a concert and the Keila and Joha (his nickname - so cute) and their band played in the middle and were totally awesome. They were by far the best band there and they had awesome stage presence (I'm so psyched to work with them, seriously, total blessing). In between their set this missionary guy came up and talked for what seemed like 2 hours (idk really how long) about his testimony and then a bunch of other stuff and he really made my want to pull my hair out. Even though some of what he said was good, I really didn't think he should be talking to youth. Regardless, afterwards, the band (Impacto) played again, and they totally rocked. Really. And it was really fun. I also got to see Matt and Caleb (brothers) because they got back from camping. They kept playing with my hair while we were singing (like pushing it to one side or the other) so I'd just punch them (not hard) in the stomachs. haha, it felt like having brothers. So yeah, it was really fun. Then the guys were comparing muscles afterwards (SO MUCH) and then they were comparing abs and I was like, I have good ones!!!! And they didn't believe me, because let's face it, I'm a little flabby, but then they felt and they were like WHOA!!! She's strong!! And I was so proud of myself :D :D :D :D So yeah, maybe they won't make me run or something (well, they will).
Either way. It was a really fun night - the only thing was I didn't really eat today (which is probably good because I forgot to take my medicine with me to their house last night) so when I got home I pigged out on quesadillas and let me tell you, I am getting good at making them ;P You're all jealous. So yummy.
Anyway, I should eat more, take a shower and go to bed. I have to take a bus over to church and get there at 9:30, so I better get my tushy to bed soon!

Love you all, so much,

Nora

1 comment:

CDL Gal 54 said...

wow! that's so funny haha. i'm glad u got to do something fun after all Nora :P