Monday, October 19, 2009

Distrito Federal - Mexico City

This weekend I went to Mexico City (A.k.a. D.F. - pronounced de efe) with Susanna and Moi to see our friend Moi's house and meet his family and go to a lock-in for the youth group at his church. The church is an American church and Moi's best friend runs the youth group (Jaaziel - Ha-si-EL). He was really really cool. The lock-in was fun, although I think that Susanna and I ate about 7,000 calories each that night, I'm not exaggerating too much there either. Although, we only got about 3 hours of sleep Friday night. Then Saturday during the day we walked around Mexico City. We went to the center of like "old city" if you will and walked around - they had a lot of vendors set up which was cool and I got a nice black purse for 50 pesos (like $3.75) which was sweet. We then went to the cathedral in the center of the city which was built by the Spaniards basically on top of where there used to be a pyramid and where they did sacrifices and stuff (Aztec). Pretty crazy. Then we went to see the ruins from the pyramid, that was also nuts. Then we walked back from there to the car and went and ate crepes which is a tradition for Moi and Jaaziel, and a few girls from the youth group leadership met up with us there (they were very sweet) and then after that we went and ate tacos. Which were good. Susanna tried intestine tacos (they look like intestines - EW) and she said they had the texture of clam or calamari, which I would compare to a balloon but she didn't think that gave it justice I guess. Either way, Jaaziel and I thought it was pretty weird. Moi ate like 3 of them, intestine tacos that is, gross. Anyway then we took Jaaziel home and went back to Moi's house where his brother was watching a movie and so I half was watching it half was reading for European Union (which I didn't really understand anyway so I mostly just watched the movie - Jim Carey in Yes Man- is that what it's called?). After the movie Moi and Susanna and I decided we'd play golf (the card game) and we were like ok, best out of 3, then best out of 5, okay best out of 10 but in the end Susanna (who taught us the game) kicked our butts and we knew it. Although Moi's massive amounts of luck are definitely worth mentioning. We went to bed late and then got up for church in the morning after about 7 hours of sleep (A grand total of 10 for the weekend - woo hoo). We ate tamales for breakfast - my first tamal in Mexico. It was really really good. I liked it a lot. Then we got ready and headed out (I left a container of hummus at Moi's house, which is kind of sad but oh well - the part I feel bad about is that it wasn't my container...woops). But oh well, point is we went to church. The service was done by the youth group and they performed a skit that one of the girls had written and it was good minus the fairly overt references to certain things that kind of irked me and Susanna a little bit (but not a lot). They did a great job though and the service went really well. It was all in English which was weird because I haven't been to church in English in 2.5 months now, but I liked it.
Then after church we went out to eat with Moi and his family, Jaaziel, his brother, and two girls from church Kate (who wrote the skit) and Rachel (who had gotten crepes with us on Saturday). They're both American and Kate's uncle is a professor at Eastern - WEIRD right? lol. It was really funny when she said that because immediately I was like, WOW you look like Dr. Sparks too!!! Haha. It was funny. Anyway, we went to a buffet at a hotel that had like everything, and it was really good. Moi's parents paid for me and Susanna, which was so sweet, and we got to eat such good food. It was really good. They had great desserts (except the cheesecake was sub-sub-par) and it was fun. Susanna and I have decided to fast this week due to our obscene amount of calorie intake this weekend, so that's good.
Then we dropped Jaaziel and his brother off and came back to Puebla. We had a really good talk on the way back which was about 1/2 in Spanish and then the other in English. Mostly because I failed at one point in expressing what I wanted to say in Spanish so I said it in English and then it just kept going from there. It's frustrating that Moi is better at expressing himself in English than I am in Spanish sometimes, but he has had a lot more time speaking English than I have Spanish.

Overall the weekend was fantastic. I put up the pictures on Picasa and the link is http://picasaweb.google.com/PerfectlyMade/KeilaYDF if you want to see them. :)
It was a great time!

I have class in 20 minutes so I should get ready to go to that. I hope you all have a very blessed day and I'll try to write smaller entries more often, rather than these huge rants every 10 days ok?
Remind me!
Love you all,
Nora

No comments: