Friday, June 27, 2008

¡More than a week already!

Can you believe it? I can´t it´s crazy. I have already been here a week. I am making progress with my speaking. In fact, I had a long, and understood, conversation with a girl a little older than me here. She is wonderful but her life is really hard. The fathers in the D.R. can be real jerks, and I have been praying for her, if you would too, I would appreciate it. Her name is Eliza. She is a beautiful girl, and has been very much wanting to come to the states. Please pray for her in this, for her direction in life. She is a lover of God, and has a lot going for her, but it is a hard life here.
Also, please be pryaing for me. I have a bit of a cold. We think it is because a lot of times there is a sudden change in temperature from 80-100 to 60-70 in the night, so this is something you can pray for, that whatever sickness I might encounter, the Lord would fight off for me.

Pray also that I can meet up with some of the people that I met last time. I will probably get to see Mario, Raul and maybe Martirez and Fior. Please be praying for me in this.
Also, I wanted to share with you all a bit of the culture.

Cultural Note:
You do not need a ring to be engaged here. In fact that hardly ever is the case.

Also! This is interesting. Men and Women/boys and girls, are hardly ever good friends. In fact, never. They might be okay friends, but there is no such thing as a boy girl friendship except in Marriage. Maybe between brothers and sisters. But it really doesn´t exist. I said something to Eunice (the pastora) about Hunter, a very good friend of mine, and about how he is my brother, and she told me that I cannot have these types of friends once I get married!! Because here, this never happens. The only reason to spend time with men (as women) is to allow them to hit on you or something like that. There are no platonic relationships between men and women here. This was so interesting to me. This coming from a Pastor! I was so surprised. I suppose it is just our culture that we can have friends as brothers and sisters, and not see them as love interests. Craziness, is it not?

Anyway, please also be praying for Eunice and Wilman, as they would like to have a baby in the next year. This is important, please be praying!

On another note, we will be venturing to Elias Piña, where Sabana Cruz is (although we will not go to Sabana Cruz I do not think), and be spending some time in Bánica, and Pedro Santana. I will also be going to Las Matas de Farfan, to see Mario and Raul. All of this will happen in the next week or so, so please be praying for me, lots of traveling.

Love you all and thank you so much for your support, thoughts, and prayers,

God Bless you!

Nora

No comments: