Saturday, July 5, 2008

More great cultural notes from Nora =)

Hey All!
I am having a good time. I purposely fasted for the first time in my life (from food that is) - the verb is ayunar for all you who care :), I started on Thursday and today is my last day. It´s nice, but I think I would have preferred a little bit more privacy...except there is no privacy here, so it´s okay...haha. Eunice started writing on a page that I had crossed out the writing in my prayer journal, literally no one else ever has touched it except me, and she didn´t ask or anything, and she didn´t tear it out right away either...not going to lie I was upset. But here we have an example of the culture, there is a complete lack of privacy, and no need to ask if you can touch something that belongs to someone else.

Another cultural note, the ¨Catholicism¨here is a worship of saints and that´s it. To the Christians it is idolatry. Which is crazy, to me, since my whole Barth clan is catholic and I know they worship Jesus. So yeah, it´s kind of nuts. But I am seeing where they are coming from in what they say, because the catholics here DONT pray to God, at all, only to saints, and this is misguided. But now you know, this is very different.

Also, please be praying for the community down here, apparently brujeria (witchcraft) is common in this area, although I have only encountered on demon possessed person (Glory to God). Please be praying for this. The further in the campos (rural area) you get, the worse this sort of thing is. Please pray for protection and knowledge of the power that the Christians have in Christ.

Thank you so much for your support in everything.
Wilman was working with a group of Americans (I think I told you this) and he got back from this escapade yesterday and was telling me all about the crazy problems they had.
He said there is no handbook for american culture for people working with americans through food for the hungry, and he said we need a book. At this I took the opportunity to explain that we did have a book, and that this group apparently neglected to read it, because as he had told me, they neglected to have any meetings before coming. It was nuts. Plus it was mostly teenagers on the trip and they were not prepared at all to enter into another culture. Especially one which they knew nothing about. SO, yesterday I wrote an essay in Spanish about American and U.S. culture and how they are. If you would like to read it, well, just send me an email, but it´s in Spanish. In anycase, I will send that to Fior (a big boss in FH) so that she can look over it, and if need be, send it out to her employees.
I felt like being american was useful for once, so that´s good :)
Anyway I should get going cause i always take like a whole hour and I wanted to put up some photos or something.
Thanks again for everything guys. Love you and God Bless,
Nora

1 comment:

Molly said...

I just LOVE this! I am now back home and everything is perfect. Pat did an awesome job of taking care of the house and 8 animals whilst we were in Nashville. Yay Pat!

I love you Nora weeta. Perhaps we can talk soon.

XOXOXO
tu madre